November 14, 1942 – The Taihoku Prisoners of War Camp No. 6 near Taihoku (now Taipei), Taiwan and the Kinkaseki Prisoners of War Camp in northeastern Taiwan were opened; on the same day, British prisoners of war from Singapore arrived on Taiwan via Kirun (now Keelung), destined for this camp. The first POWs to arrive in Taihoku Camp # 6 came on November 14th, 1942 from Singapore on the hellship England Maru. After disembarking at the port of Keelung, the men were taken by train to Taihoku (Taipei) the capital, and made to march through the streets of the city to their new camp about three miles northeast of the downtown area. Lining the route was the local population, including hundreds of school children, turned out by the Japanese to show off their conquests. The No. 6 Camp at Taihoku was the main POW camp in the capital area, and one of the principal camps on Taiwan. At first it was comprised mainly of men from the 5th Field Reg’t., R.A. and the 9/11th Indian Division Signals. However, over the next three years men from other regiments were moved in from other camps. The population of the camp averaged around 500 men for most of the time it was in existence and 74 POWs died there. Camp #6 contained almost entirely British POWs. The men slaved at building a memorial park and a man-made lake for the Japanese. They were also engaged in farming, and some later worked in the railway and bus repair shops. This camp was the main transit camp for the movement of POWs to and from Kinkaseki, and it was also the camp that the POWs from other camps passed through on their way to Japan and Manchuria in late 1944 and early 1945. In the last months of the war a few American and Dutch POWs were also interned there.