September 13, 1758 – St. John River Campaign Fort Frederick On September 13, 1758, Monckton and a strong force of regulars and rangers left Halifax and arrived at the mouth of the St. John River a week later. While Fort Menagoueche had been destroyed (1755), when the British arrived, a few militia members fired shots from the site and fled upstream in boats. The armed sloop Providence was wrecked in the Reversing Falls trying to follow. Monckton established a new base of operations by reconstructing Fort Menagoueche, which he renamed Fort Frederick. Establishing Fort Frederick allowed the British to virtually cut off the communications and supplies to the villages on the St. John River. Monckton was accompanied by the New England Rangers, which had three companies that were commanded by Joseph Goreham, Captain Benoni Danks and George Scott. When Monckton and his troops appeared on the St. John River, Boishébert retreated. The Acadians were left unprotected in their settlements at Grimross, Jemseg and Sainte-Anne des Pays-Bas. Boishébert directed Acadians to go to Quebec City.